As an organization, we value solidarity and believe in implementing an intersectional and community-engaged approach. We work with a small team of staff, dedicated volunteers, local bike shops, and public and private partner organizations to make our mission a reality. Join us to contribute to our mission and learn how bicycles can help build equitable communities and brighter futures for all!
Internship length is 12 weeks, beginning the week of October 26th, and ending Jan. 18h. Weekly time commitment is 10-15 hrs.
Schedule is somewhat flexible, but an ideal weekly schedule would be: Mondays 10am to 12pm, Tuesdays 4pm-8pm, Thursdays 4pm-8pm, and Saturdays 9am to 1pm.
Intern duties and responsibilities:
- Intern will report primarily to the Programs Manager.
- Assist with weekly fix queue for Bicycle Thrift Store and Change a Tire, Change a Life Program-Bicycle Thrift Store support
- Updating online listings (take/edit/upload photos, write item descriptions, adjust inventory)
- Assist with customer browsing (scheduling appointments, answering questions, processing payments)
- Data entry/filing of completed Bike Repair Checklists and donation receipts
- Help host Saturday morning/week night volunteer events and Bike Donation Drive(s)
- Provide additional support to Executive Director and Lead Mechanic as needed
Requirements and qualifications:
- Good communication skills, self-motivated, empathetic, possess cultural sensitivity
- Currently working towards completion of an undergraduate degree
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel/Google Sheets, Facebook, Instagram
- Familiar with or interested in learning how to use WordPress and Canva
- Interested in bicycles, nonprofit work, and/or social outreach
Internship is unpaid, but intern will have many opportunities to gain valuable hands-on nonprofit and small business experience and learn all about bikes, including how to do minor maintenance and safety assessments. After 4 weeks, intern can choose a bike valued at $150 or less, fix it up, and keep it!
Email us at email@example.com with the subject “Internship Application,” your resume, and a brief statement (400-500 words) explaining why you are interested in the position, what you hope to gain from working at Second Chance Bikes, and details of any relevant experience.
Second Chance Bikes is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in our staff, our work environment, and the change we want to see in our society. We value a diverse staff with a wide range of life experiences because we recognize that we are stronger when our organization and work benefit from the innovative contributions, creative solutions, practical know-how, and community insights brought by people of different backgrounds. Diversity of experience, ideas, and viewpoints is a priority, and candidates with varied education levels, skills, and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of different religions, nationalities, genders, and sexual orientations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employment with Second Chance Bikes is at-will and either party can terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
Second Chance Bikes is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, ancestry, physical disability (including pregnancy), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.